Monday, December 29, 2008


Is It Spring Yet?

Pattern: Cricosaura, by Blogless Erika (she Ravels here)

Yarn: Spritely Goods Sidhe in limited edition Limonata (very similar to the Chimichurri colorway)
Needles: US1 (or 1.5 - they're Addi's)

Comments: I've become taken with patterns that include designs on the gusset - these socks are knit toe up and cleverly incorporate the little scales right on over the gusset. If pressed, I could have probably knit these on US0s - it seems I've become a loose knitter when before it seems I would knit pretty much right at gauge. In any case, knit on US1's, these socks are sproingy and cushy - great for wearing around the house!

Modifications: I worked the heel flap a little differently than called for in the pattern - mostly because while I have rather wide feet, my ankles are relatively small - in order to draw in the sock, I did a slip stitch rib underneath the little scales, and slightly delayed the starting of the lace-work until I was a bit further up the leg. I also only managed to get 3 repeats of the lace done before I headed into the ribbing because I was starting to run out of yarn (one of the reasons I love toe-up socks is I can knit until I have just enough yarn to bind off :) in case you're wondering, I have just a few yards to spare after binding these off). With just 3 repeats, I do find them plenty tall - they are certainly tall enough to cover my sock lines from running/hiking :)

Friday, December 26, 2008

Mizar Inspired Mitts

Pattern: A combination of the cables found on Mizar using a modified Jack-in-the-box mitten construction for the flip top
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted in the Cypress colorway
Needles: US 6 / 4mm

The last of the holiday knitting went to my DH who was pressed into service in checking mitten length while I was knitting all those other mittens. He wanted convertible mittens, and I wanted to make him something different from all the other mittens I had already knit - re-casting the mizar cables into mittens worked out especially well, as the cable pattern was already adapted to form a nice mitten-top shape. I adapted the shaping on the top of the mitten to closer mimic a rounded toe on a sock, and actually grafted the remaining live stitches, rather than simply running the tail of the working yarn through to secure them.

Mmmm. Malabrigo - lofty and soft, and really nice yardage - I hadn't expected to finish this entire pair of mittens with one ball, but I I'm looking for something to knit with the other ball of malabrigo I had set aside for this project...perhaps I'll have to try for a matching hat...or maybe a matching pair of mittens for me?

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Staghorn Flip Tops

Pattern: Jack in the Box Mittens, from Knitting New Mittens and Gloves
Yarn: Paton's Classic Merino
Needles: US 6 / US 7 (4.0mm, 4.5mm)
Pairs Knit? Lots.

Pattern Notes: The pattern is written for 4 sizes of mittens - childrens, Womens M, Womens L and Mens....I happened to knit all 4 sizes, even doing a pair in colorwork (cabling + colorwork? Doable - but definitely challenging) I've always liked the idea of flip-top mittens, and I figured these would be welcome in colder climates - especially given the snow that seems to be flying around this winter! The pattern is clearly written, and both the staghorn and zig-zag cables are quick to memorize. If I could just figure out a way to reduce the bulge at the overlapping points on the mittens, I'd be happy - given time, I could probably figure something out with a finer yarn...but I was working on a holiday knitting timeline. I hope the recipients enjoy them and put them to good use :D

Chevalier Mitts

Pattern: Chevalier Mittens
Yarn: Spritely Goods Fey, in limited edition red maple colorway, held double stranded (one skein).
Needles: US 5 / 3.75mm

Comments and pattern modifications: Once cast on, I knit these pretty much entirely from the chart - I did shorten the cuff section by a little bit, and I made the cables mirror each other on the left and right mitts. While the cabling (without a cable needle) using yarn held doubled was a little bit troublesome at times, these mittens were a pleasure to knit - and they came out really nicely too :) The subtle variegation in a semi-solid handdyed yarn really suits the mittens, I think. If I was to make any further modifications on these, I would change the final decreases for the tips of the mittens - The decreases, stacked as they are, resulted in a little bit of gapping between the stitches. I'm really happy with how these turned out - and I love how bright and colorful they are!