Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sparkling Ambrosia

Pattern: Ambrosia, by Ann Budd
Yarn: Berroco Sox Metallic
Needles: US0 / 2.0mm
Size: One of the larger sizes 
Raveled

Comments: Definitely check your gauge - the pattern calls for US3 and US4 needles, but it's easily scaled to suit a tighter gauge knit - I prefer my fabric on socks to be fairly closely knit for better wear, so opted for US0s and a larger size - since these are already a rather girly colorway, and covered with sparkles, I figured I'd go all out and went with a picot bind off (speaking of which, does anyone know how to do a picot bindoff so it *doesn't* flare out like that??).   Due to the height of the socks, I also added some calf shaping by doing increases in pattern along the back of the leg.  Overall, the knitting in this sock is straightforward, with a short row heel and no gusset.  I do find that getting the sock up over my heel is somethings a little difficult, so some gusset increases may be warranted.  I found these to be a fast, fun knit - and the pattern is suitable for breaking up colors on handdyed yarns.   

As for the Sox Metallic, it's definitely not as soft as some other sock yarns - While the addition of the Nylon and the metallic might add strength and durability, I can feel it in the yarn and in the finished sock.



No comments: