Thursday, December 17, 2009

Study in Sock Construction

please excuse the catfuzz. It abounds in my household.

Pattern: Bartholemew's Tantalizing Socks - Sky construction - from Cat Bordhi's New Pathways for Sock Knitters
Yarn: Wollmeise sockenwolle in Hollerstaud'n
Needles: US2 and US 1.5

Comments: A fast knitting sock that (I think anyway) shows off handpainted yarns nicely, while adding textural elements (yay linen stitch!) that keep the knitter entertained. These are knit top down - a rarity for me, but I wanted to give this sock construction method a try.

Overall, I still prefer toe-up knitting (mostly because I'm still seriously paranoid about running out of yarn when I knit top down socks) - but these turned out some very nicely fitting socks - the heel construction ensures a nice close fit through the rear of the foot - though it may not be as durable as other heel construction methods (it's simply ribbed, rather than slipped and knit).

The split cuff nicely accommodates those of us with more ample calves, and the fabric seems happy enough to stay up without flopping over at all. These socks are actually destined for my husband...to make up for the fact that I ripped out a pair of handknit socks to knit these....don't ask. The tale is a sad one (involving handknit woolens with suspcious holes that looked like one of our pets may have decided they had a hankering for knitted fabric)...but it all seems to have ended well :)

No comments: